Random Indycar Stream-of-Consciousness-of-the-Day:
1. Sarah Fisher has officially won me over as favorite Indycar team owner. Oddly, had she not gone through all the sponsor crap and race misfortune from May 2008, I doubt she would have reached the level she is today.
2. Relatedly, I have a recurring thought/dream that keeps nagging – Tony Kanaan, sick of the Andretti Team drama leaves Andretti Racing and joins Sarah Fisher’s team. 99.875% sure this will never happen, but I get the feeling he was so sincerely sympathetic to how much he (and his spin in front of Sarah’s car causing their May ’08 Indy 500 collision) affected her entire program and life. He decides that her story and modus operandi for the fledgling Sarah Fisher Racing program is suitable to his genuine and honest hardworking personality. TK and SF, BFFs. OK, maybe too Hollywood.
3. 2012 racing machine specs – Allow alternate propulsion systems for Indycars mated to a single, approved chassis. Lead the way into the new automotive technologies instead of lagging it… ahem NASCAR.
4. Pay Shaquille O’Neal to become official SuperFan of the IZOD Indycar Series. Allow him to render any or all of his awesomeness to promoting the series.
5. Allow Danica to go to NASCAR without any fanfare either positive or negative. This league existed before her and will exist after (see Sam Hornish, Jr.).
More thoughts to come…
This blog opens on a day with a news flash which should cause many Indycar fans relief, Danica Patrick has allegedly signed a new three-year contract to drive for Andretti-Green Racing carrying through 2012, according to Curt Cavin of the Indy Star.
Fine and dandy.
Now it’s my turn to announce something. ‘Yours truly’ is proud to announce the opening of this “Ground(ed) Effects” blog whose chief mission is to provide thoughts, musings, and generally entertaining fodder on subjects related to the Indianapolis 500. With any luck at all, its readership will find this entertaining and worthy of ongoing interaction (or possibly just a comment or two).
This blog is hereby christened in the name of The father (Carl Fisher), the son (Anton “Tony” Hulman), and in the spirit of all that is the Indianapolis 500… *smashes Miller High Life bottle
on, NO! near laptop. Phew, that was a close one…*
Please note this blog is in no way produced or endorsed by the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, it’s ownership, the Indycar Series, or any other officially approved product of Brickyard Properties (I’m not really sure I have to say that, but fairly certain it doesn’t hurt either).
I am essentially a guy with a computer and a Blogger account. To say that I am a fan of the Indianapolis 500 (or Indy 500) is an understatement. I have a history with this race that has covered a good majority of my life. My fondness of this race dates back to a couple of events that are honestly a bit hazy, but will be covered here in due time…
On that note, I (as many others) find it somewhat difficult to describe this event to someone without ultimately saying, “you just need to experience it to understand it”, but my goal is to write in such a way that causes dialogue with others who have or desire specific knowledge of the event that is the Indy 500. Sensory descriptions through word, and not with scads of pictures, video, or sounds lifted from various sources is my aim, but that is not to say a few choice items/links won’t be posted at my discretion…
By posting my thoughts here I leave myself open to general and cordial discourse, but primarily am interested in also eliciting experiential thoughts and memories from the readership relating to the Indy 500.
Having said all this, I hope you enjoy what you find here and will remain open to your input via the comments under each post.
*with Sid Collins in my mind’s ear* “…the brand new Ground(ed) Effects blog… IS ON! Come in Mike Ahern…”